Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Brian and me at The Wheel (yes, I changed t-shirts). It says "Baby Jay on the way" how cute!

Last weekend we headed to KU and good ole' Lawrence, KS for a fun filled college football weekend. My girlfriends and I graduated (gulp) 10 years ago in May '00 so we decided to have a 10-year-reunion of sorts. We picked a Fall weekends so we could enjoy some KU football. The irony of that statement is that we never actually watched KU football when we were in school because they were terrible. Now they are a Top 25 team, I'm sorry, I stand corrected, were a Top 25 team until the two week nosedive that we will refer to as the CU/OU embarassement. Anyway, KU has changed a lot over the past 10 years, I'm sure for the better, but nostalgia sometimes wins out over what actually is better. For one, our long time favorite end of campus hang out is gone. The Crossing and Yellow Sub are no more. Tear. In their place stands a high rise, luxury apartment building that advertises "optimal, luxury living and amazing views of campus". Um, aren't we talkign to college kids here? Apparently their tastes have become much more discerning. I will give credit to the architechts and builders; this building fits right into campus and does not look like a new addition. Another change, although for the better, is the changed attitude about football around campus. It's almost like a real football school now. The hill is alive with tailgate parties and student groups, the stadium is packed with fans (and not just from the opposing team) and people are really into football. It was fun to see this change and feel the energy and fun surrounding a beautiful midwest Saturday and a football game.

Some things haven't changed, and I like that too. The Wheel is still standing, still packed and still fun even when you are 100% sober and pregnant. The Bull is still there too. How, I'm not sure, but it is. Theta is still there and still looking great! We "raided" the house and looked at our old rooms and old composites. Mom Banta is still at Theta as well. Apparently the pledges, um, I mean, new members are no longer required to do phone/door duty as it is seen as hazing so Mom Banta (who, btw, is probably at least 80) has to do it. As my friend Carlye said, I'm not sure exactly what making an 80 year old woman answer the door and phones is called but I think asking Freshman to do it is really just more polite. I digress.




my composite pictures from Freshman and Junior year! LOL!!




We had so much fun despite the loss to OU. I'm not even going to write the score because it hurts just a little bit. It was wonderful to see old friends and catch up. It was even more fun to bring all of our husbands along so they could catch a little glimpse of what our lives were like before them.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK! GO KU!

No comments:

Post a Comment