This weekend was a good weekend. We had a nice mix of social outings and relaxation. Friday we got ready for the famous Denver Derby party by planning our outfits, hemming shirt sleeves and arranging flowers onto hats. We knew we were in for a long day on Saturday and, let's be honest, we can not "hang" in the party mode like we could in our younger years. Yes, best to rest, relax and get ready for the pre-party we were headed to around noon and the 5-hour-long party that was to come afterward.
We attended the Denver Derby party on Saturday at the Denver Botanic Gardens and despite the overcast conditions and a short rain shower, we had a great time. There were lots of fun people there and everyone was dressed in true Southern style. There were some amazing hats and some even better seersucker suits. I was impressed with the ability of normally casual (sometimes annoyingly so) Denverites to really get into the spirit of the Kentucky Derby. We attended the party with our friends Misty and Chad Meade and Amy and Matt Palcso. My friends, Amy and Carrie, who are KY natives, held a fun pre-party and after-party. They did
Two stories of the day: First, Amy and Carrie's friend, Jonathan, had run-in with an aggressive party goer who forgot that when a party starts at 1p it isn't the same as when it starts at 7p. She had a few too many mint juleps too early in the day which resulted in an unfortunate clash of her vomit and his gorgeous, linen sport coat. Gross. I know. Poor guy was so disturbed he just went home. Second, I was in line to get a drink when a gal complimented me on my wedding rings saying she has seen a lot of gorgeous rings in her profession and that mine was very pretty. I said, "thank you" and then asked what her profession was thinking we would start up a conversation about jewelry stores and maybe I could find a hidden gem in Denver; we would become friends and I could get some nice discounts on fabulous jewelry. Nope. She is a Divorce Lawyer. Is that how she drums up business? Hey random stranger, looks like your married so maybe you might need me one day. Here's my card. Right. I just said, "oh", grabbed my drink and went on my merry way.
As a result of our Saturday festivities, we had a very low-key Sunday. We played with Roxy in the park, took her on a walk, made a nice breakfast and did some yard work. Brian got his tomato plants moved outside into the garden and is continuing to work on his other seedlings. Our (I should say his - I just watch and admire) garden is going to shape up to be one mean, produce producing machine!
No comments:
Post a Comment