Friday, July 10, 2009

Vacation. All I Ever Wanted.

Vacation. Had to get away. Ah, the lyrics of Belinda Carlisle and the Go Go's. I think now and forever I will always think of that song when I am planning or packing for a vacation....
Brian and I just returned from a fun, sun and food filled week in California. We spent Thursday through Sunday which included 4th of July at Brian's parent's house on Hollister Ranch. We then spent Monday through Thursday at one of our favorite resorts, Bacara, in Santa Barbara. It was the perfect blend of family time and couple time as well as the perfect amount of time away.

As always my amazing chef/mother-in-law cooked up a storm for us. I swear I gain 5 lbs every time I visit and usually a good 7 - 8 lbs around any major holiday. It's totally worth the week or two of low carbs, salads and water once I return from this wonderful culinary land. At one point during the weekend we were having happy hour on the beach (another perk of being at the Schaubs) when one of Christine's friends asked her how many were coming for dinner when she described what she was making that evening. When she responded that it was just the four of us I thought Ellen, her friend, was going to fall out of her beach chair. Appetite is required to visit.










On Monday afternoon we headed South to Santa Barbara and checked in to Bacara which is an amazing resort! We went to Bacara for the first time after our ill-fated Bahamas vacation in 2004. Hurricane Frances had other plans for us and forced us to leave the Four Seasons in Great Exuma. Trying to figure out where to go at the last minute since Florida was obvioulsy not an option, we hopped a plan cross-country and went to Bacara. I think it was fate as we have gone back every year since then except for last year because of Brian's long recovery from getting his wisdom teeth removed.

We love the atmosphere, the location, the staff, the rooms, the spa, the pool and the food. They have quite possibly the most amazing omelet I have ever had. It's called the Canyon Ranch Omelet and it is an omelet with spinach, white cheddar, tomatoes and fresh sliced avacado on top. I think it's so delicious because a lot of the produce comes directly from the Bacara Ranch which is on the property. It doesn't get much better than that. I had it two of three mornings!

We spent time at the pool and at the spa and just relaxed. We went out to dinner at Arigato, our second favorite sushi restaurant, and a new place called Blush. It was just ok. We decided to avoid the drive in to downtown SB on the last night and just ate dinner at The Bistro on the property.

After the disappointment of canceling our Mexico vacation in May, this trip more than made up for it. Now it's back to the real world and time to plan the next vacation! Happy 4th of July!!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful vacation, B! It looks awesome and I am so happy that you got to go! :-)

    ReplyDelete