My Dad has always been an avid golfer to say the least. He has gone on many golf vacations to far away places like Scotland and has also played all over the U.S. He prides himself on his game and is the '09 member/member champion at one of his two golf clubs, The Broadmoor. Congratulations Dad!!
My husband, following suit with all sports he participates in, is also a very good golfer and although he doesn't get to play as often as he likes he is getting out to play more often.
In the past three years I have taken up golf, again. I tried once or twice in high school; I don't think I had the patience. I actually took a 1 hour credit class in golf at KU; it was more like social time with the three girlfriends who were also in the class. I went out to the Harvard Gulch Par 3 a few times; it was fun but no learning was involved and usually several Coors Lights.
Two years ago we joined a new Country Club in Denver (well, actually Parker) called Colorado Golf Club (CGC). I decided that if we were going to take this jump and spend this money then I needed to learn to play golf, for real. I bought the gear first, of course. Every girl needs to at least look cute while attempting to hit that elusive white ball. I got a new bag one Christmas and new shoes last summer. I also started watching a lot of golf; maybe I would learn by osmosis through the TV?! I will say that I might have taken Paula Cremer's look a little too much to heart as the first few times I went out I was decked out in head-to-toe PINK (including my new bag). It might have been a little too much. I signed up for a clinic and also took some lessons. Even with all this effort I still had to learn and I found out that learning to play golf takes a lot of concentration and focus. It's fun but while you are learning it is also draining.
I have played two rounds of golf this summer on real courses! I am improving for sure. In fact, last Sunday I got a legitimate par on hole #3 of our course at CGC. It was beautiful. No moving the ball out of that scary ruff or taking a mulligan or getting the ball close enough to the hole to ask, "are you going to give me that?". It was, as I said before, totally legitimate.
Because I am so proud I will explain it in detail just for all of you. First shot off the tee I used my 5 Iron and went right down the fairway. Second shot I used my 7 Utility club and hit a great shot over the gully (which I usually hit into), onto the green and then sadly, rolled into the bunker. I thought it was over at this point. I used my sand wedge and actually hit it out of the bunker AND onto the green about 6 feet from the hole. Short put in for par. Yay for me!!! It felt so good and was actually really fun. I'm going back for more this weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment