Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Welcome Home Carson!!



After 10 days in the NICU, Carson is home!

We brought him home yesterday, Tuesday, February 9th. It was so wonderful to finally bring him home. I've had so many emotions these past 10 days that I can't even begin to put them into words. Yesterday, all the negative and sad emotions just melted away and I was so overjoyed to finally bring him home. It was so fun to pack him up in his infant carrier, get him in the car and drive home as a family. I rode in the back seat and checked on him under his blanket about every 5 seconds during our 12 minute car ride home. Brian drove very safely and we made it home safe and sound.

We also made it successfully through our first night. It was a lot of work and very tiring. I'm hoping we get better at all of this and can squeeze some more sleep in during the night. We'll see!

Finally I just want to say how thankful I am for the impressive staff at the Rose Med NICU. They did so much for us and made our stay there much easier. They put our minds at ease while keeping us informed of our son's progress. They always had us prepared. We feel so fortunate that he received such loving and attentive care from all his doctors and nurses.

One funny story from yesterday: We had gone out and bought him a special "going home" outfit and probably spent a little more on it than necessary. In my mind he had a rough start to his life so going home seemed more "special" and hence, merited an expensive outfit. A new outfit makes everyone feel better, right?! Yesterday we took his outfit over, got him all changed, sat down to do his noon feeding when he farted so loudly that I just knew he had pooped. I assumed it would be fine but upon further inspection he had, in fact, had a minor explosion and soiled his brand new outfit. I cried. I wanted everything to be perfect for his going home. Luckily we had some other outfits that were cute so he had something to wear. We got home, washed his outfit, redressed him and took our going home pictures after we were home! I was not letting that outfit go to waste! It was actually really funny. I will post a picture soon of him in his going home outfit!

Let the adventure begin!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny that he pooped on his going home outfit. If it makes you feel any better, I bought Holden a very expensive one too, and when we went to put him in it, it didn't fit. So he wore an ugly hospital onesie home. Ha! I couldn't be happier for your guys. Welcome home, Carson!

    ReplyDelete