Sunday, February 7, 2010

Please welcome Carson James Schaub!!


Carson James Schaub is here!

Last Sunday we got quite a surprise when our son, Carson, made an early entrance into the world. Carson was born on 1/31/10 at 4:21pm. He was 6 lbs 10.9 oz and 19.5" long. We are so excited to have him here! Carson's due date, if you'll remember, was 3/6/10 so he was 5 weeks early. However, when he arrived at 6 lbs 11 oz the first thing we all wondered was how big he would have been should I have gone full term with him.

I went into labor last Saturday night at 10pm when my water broke as we were getting ready for bed. I thought I had a stomach flu all day long but in hindsight I think I was actually having early labor but just didn't know it. Ironically, we spent Saturday at the first day of our childbirth education class; we didn't make it to the second day. We headed to the hospital around midnight on Saturday night. I continued in labor for 10 hours until 10am the next day. At that point, my labor stalled a bit and it was decided that I would be given pitosin to move things along a bit. Come 4pm I was ready to have him and at 4:21pm he was delivered into the world. I will never forget that moment and how proud I felt. I couldn't have done it without my amazing coach/husband! He has been more supportive, loving and encouraging through the whole process than I could have ever imagined. I am one lucky lady to have Brian and now, Carson in my life.

Carson is doing well although with him being so early he was taken to the NICU at Rose Medical Center immediately. He had to receive oxygen as his breathing was labored and his lungs were working too hard. He needed more than just basic oxygen and was put on a pressurized oxygen system called CPAP. Additionally, he was having a hard time maintaining his body temperature and having bradycardia episodes. Bradycardia is basically where the heart rate drops too low and the infant stops breathing. This is fairly common in pre-term babies and most correct the issue on their own. He is improving every day and has been off of his oxygen, IV fluids and heater for 5 days. His last bradycardiac episode was three days ago. We have to go five days without one and then we can take him home. Despite the fact that he is in the NICU we have been very pleased with his progress and feel very fortunate that he is receiving such good care.

I am feeling really good physically. Emotionally it has been a little bit harder. Leaving the hospital without him was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. There were lots of tears. I continue to be overwhelmed every day with how much more I love him. Brian and I try to enjoy our time with him in the NICU as much as possible. Of course we wish he was home but he will be home with us soon enough.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't be happier for you guys. I can only imagine how hard it must've been for you to leave the hospital with him still in the NICU. My fingers are crossed that he can come home sooner than later. What a big boy for being five weeks early!! Thank you for the blog update. I was needing that. :-)

    ReplyDelete